Antarctica and Falklands - Southern Hemisphere Adventure
About Buenos Aires
- Experience Antarctica, Patagonia and the Falklands in one expedition cruise
- See amazing wildlife; penguins, seals, whales, albatross and more
- Enjoy landings and ice-cruising in Antarctica
- Wide-ranging science and activity program led by our expert Expedition Team
- Overnight in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Flight in economy class from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfer from the hotel in Buenos Aires to Buenos Aires airport before the expedition cruise
- Transfers from Ushuaia airport to the ship, including a brief tour of the town
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna with floor-to-ceiling window, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Medical questionnaire is mandatory
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
Cultural and Cool - Buenos Aires - Hotel
This adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover `Paris of South America´ for yourself on a warm spring or summer day, or extend your stay with an optional Pre-Programme to explore wild Patagonia.
Tierra del Fuego - Buenos Aires/Ushuaia
Fly early in the morning to Ushuaia, where MS Fridtjof Nansen awaits. Once on board, we kick off our journey with a welcome dinner.
Crossing the Drake Passage - Drake Passage - At sea
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross the famed Drake Passage. During the voyage south, the Expedition Team starts the lecture program, giving you information about Antarctica’s fascinating history and environmental science. Learn what it takes to be an Antarctic Ambassador in our mandatory IAATO briefing and join the Citizen Science program to learn more about the wildlife and ecosystems of Antarctica. This is a great time to enjoy all the amenities of our advanced hybrid-powered expedition ship.
Antarctica … Another World! - Antarctica
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons above oceans full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first encounter with the huge colonies of penguins.
Our Expedition Team will lead ice-cruising and landings at every opportunity to come ashore and explore the impressive Antarctic scenery. From deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Of course, this is true wilderness, so nature is in charge, but our experienced captain will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to bring you to the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife on display in this pristine wilderness.
Wherever we explore, the sights and sounds and of Antarctica are sure to stay with you for a lifetime!
Scanning for Wildlife and Joining Lectures - At sea
The Expedition Team will continue the lecture program, covering history and the great explorers, marine biology, wildlife, oceanography and climate change. Using the state-of-the-art microscopes in the ship’s Science Center, you can analyse samples taken during the expedition cruise to see another kind of ‘wildlife’ at the cellular level. Spend some time on deck and look out for wildlife as we make out way north to the Falklands. We are usually followed by different sea bird species, such as albatrosses.
Pubs, Penguins and Perfect Wilderness - Falkland Islands
After the wilderness of Antarctica, enjoy the contrast provided by Stanley, with red phone boxes, red buses and old pubs. The capital is good size for roaming the streets on foot, or you can join an excursion to explore the wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked here throughout the day.
The Falklands are teeming with wonders of nature, with fantastically clear blue skies, seamless horizons and stunning white sand beaches.
As we reach the westernmost outposts in the Falklands, you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for generations. Penguins waddle along the beaches here, often coming close to you to take a look out of curiosity, and even posing for photos! We plan to go ashore to explore the area on hikes and to spot some of the many bird species that live here.
Enjoy Onboard Activities - At Sea
Days at sea are full of activity. Our Expedition Team leads fascinating talks and lectures in the Science Center and MS Fridtjof Nansen offers a wellness area as well as a pool and hot tubs.
World Heritage Highlights - Puerto Madryn
The Valdes Peninsula is a stunning nature reserve that has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. Situated on Argentina's Patagonian coast, this peninsula is home to dramatic natural habitats. Enjoy our wide variety of optional excursions starting in Puerto Madryn that bring you closer to wildlife and let you experience the gaucho lifestyle of Patagonia.
Wildlife and Lectures - At sea
After exhilarating days in Patagonia, Antarctica and the Falklands, the final days of the voyage are spent sailing north while the temperatures rise. Relax with your fellow explorers on the outer decks, restaurants and lounges, and enjoy the farewell dinner on the last evening..
The ‘Birthplace of Tango’ - Buenos Aires
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. And this expedition ends in Buenos Aires. Explore this vibrant city at your leisure before returning home. For more adventure, you can extend your stay in Argentina’s capital or enjoy an optional Post-Program to the famous Iguazu Falls.